DIY Flycatcher

Now that the weather has warmed here in Australia, I’ve had to reestablish a fly catching device in the kitchen to grab those insects that are far too interested in my tomatoes.

IMG_8435.JPGIt’s simply an old plastic bottle that’s had the top sliced off and reinserted into the base of the bottle…. with some Apple Cider Vinegar at the bottom to serve as bait. Although this setup worked quite well earlier in the year, I decided to make an alteration to the last design. I found that the mouth of the bottle top was too large and the flies that were supposedly caught still had the ability to fly out again if they were crafty enough.

IMG_8431.JPGTo remedy this problem, I attached a piece of plastic bag to the top secured with an elastic band. A small hole was cut to allow flies to enter the bottle… but small enough so they wouldn’t be able to fly out again. This has proven to be a lot more effective… and after a day, several flies were already seen floating in the vinegar.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s