About a month ago, we decided to go on the road and show our visiting Swiss cousin some of the nearby sites in Western Australia. On this one particular day, my “Little Red Engine That Could” was expected to travel 400km at speeds in excess of 100km/h. Usually, when travelling at similar speeds down the freeway, it’s not an issue. But once you get far enough north of the city, the roads become rough and cause some serious vibrations at said speeds.
After enjoying the scenery at our destination 200km away, we made our way back and that’s when Little Red started speaking to us. Squeaky, squeaky, squeaky as the motor turned. My passengers were a little concerned with the sound, but I knew exactly what the problem was… something I had known about for 2 years yet procrastinated on since I considered the job to be too fiddly. We managed to return to the city without a breakdown, but I knew the issue had to be taken care of immediately.
That week, I pulled out my service manual and got to figuring out how to change the drive belt… the cause of the squeak. 2 years previous, the very last time I took my car to a qualified mechanic, replacing the drive belt was on a long list of items that needed attention. But not wanting to pay over $2000 in labour fees, I ordered many of the replacement parts online with the idea of doing it myself. Despite receiving the replacement drive belt, I never got around to changing it. The reason? Since everything in my car is quite compact, to access the engine I would need to remove the front bumper and one of the front headlights. It seemed all too hard at that moment, so I did nothing.
Now having to actually DO something, I got to it. After removing the front bumper, and the front headlight (which in the end wasn’t anywhere near as difficult as my brain had it out to be) I now had access to the drive belt. After loosening the tensioner, I was able to remove the drive belt.
Despite reading in my manual to “Note how the drive belt is routed” and believing I knew it’s route, I ended up getting lost when attempting to attach the new belt. My lazy manual did not describe in any detail how this was to be done, so I was forced to find a solution on my iPad.
After a bit of fiddling, the new drive belt was now installed. I ran the engine to listen. The squeak was now gone. Now it’s time to take care of the other items I have procrastinated on! 😉